The process described in the linked article could be a good thing for D

max haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Wed May 25 03:44:08 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 25 May 2022 at 03:16:05 UTC, forkit wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 May 2022 at 00:15:56 UTC, max haughton wrote:
>>

>> If we take Boyd's OODA loop as an abstraction to target ....
>
> Boyd's loop is targetted towards decision makers (i.e.
> management) - ie. humans.

D contributors are indeed human

> If you're saying D does not have the humans to put into
> management positions, then D does not have the humans to make
> decisions, and thus, pursuing Boyd's loop (or any other form of
> managing).. is kinda pointless ;-)

I'm saying we have enough humans to do stuff we are just not good
at keep them pointing at the right stuff, for reasons similar to
those described in the linked article.

In a project like D naively aiming to manage people will just
piss people off, we need to make progress observable and make it
obvious where actually needs work and what other people are
trying to do. Being able to measure some notion of progress, even
if fuzzy, is good way of getting more of that thing: In a very
simple sense, which types of D outreach bring the most traffic to
dlang.org? How many people have downloaded the nightly build on
github etc. (hint: not many).

Managing programmers is a full time job even if you're paying
them to work for you. I think a lot of these nicely packaged
ideas like OODA are bullshit, I just think there is obviously
progress we can make either for individuals or for D as a
directed programming language in the rough concept of the loop.
The specifics don't really matter.

This concept has an added benefit in allowing people new to
contributing to find something to do without having to actively
seek out people they may not know exist yet. Similarly we have no
data on whether people try and fail to contribute, get stuck,
etc: sticking a little survey somewhere is better than nothing.