Why is D unpopular, redux.

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed May 25 06:23:38 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 23:48:06 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> Well, the thing is, D is good at many thing, but it's not great
> at one thing. You therefore don't get that 1% of dev who really
> want or even need it.

Yes, and since growth where there is a networking effect might
follow the exponential-like S shape (sigmoid) we can also expect
that libraries/frameworks happen when we enter the steep slope of
the S curve. That one Rust feature is acting like a catalyst, you
get higher density of a particular user type. Same with Go, since
it was Google the initial influx was people with an interest in
web or cloud, so that would be how it entered the S shape, the
libraries/framework follow from that density of user types and
boosted the already existing networking effect.

We dont really see a networking effect in D.

We dont see a condensation of a particular user type, except
metaprogramming and language evolution, and that has boosted
demands that doesn’t increase a particular niche fitness.

> These action taken effectively prevent the ecosystem from
> growing. Just like bonsai, it get trimmed on a regular basis,
> so it stays small.

Yes, it has to fix all the individual causes that prevents
retention, then communicate a clear specific vision that fits a
niche that is poorly covered. Could be gui apps on Linux or
something else, but something specific is easier to target and
measure than something abstract.

By being more specific you also can grow the ecosystem somewhat
faster because the key demands are more focused.