Why is D unpopular?

Max Samukha maxsamukha at gmail.com
Wed May 25 10:37:11 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 22 May 2022 at 22:59:25 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> This is a faulty system design. There's nothing stopping
> modules from corrupting the memory of the caller.

It is not as much a faulty design as it is a trade off. Some
systems cannot afford IPC.  Consider Linux kernel "oops"
failures, which may leave the system in an unstable state without
tearing it down completely.

> The correct approach is to run those modules as separate
> processes, where they can only corrupt themselves.

Or .NET application domains (WebAssembly modules, etc) running in
the same process.

> It's why operating systems support processes and interprocess
> communications.

I know how operating systems work. BTW, the entire monolithic vs
microkernel debate is about this.