Why is D unpopular?

Alexandru Ermicioi alexandru.ermicioi at gmail.com
Wed May 25 18:29:02 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 25 May 2022 at 16:17:06 UTC, Siarhei Siamashka
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 May 2022 at 13:34:35 UTC, Alexandru Ermicioi
> wrote:
>> We should not have release switch as it is now due to those
>> security holes mentioned.
>
> That's merely the Adam's claim. He is trying to very
> aggressively "save" me from some non-existing problems without
> realizing that I'm just not using D language in the same way as
> he does. He is too busy being engaged in some sort of
> shadowboxing against himself and is not paying attention to my
> explanations.

Nah, not just Adam's. There are other people that also complained
at disabled bounds checking in release mode as well as disabled
contracts. So the opinion for release mode now leans towards more
safety even for system code.

> Regarding the name of this topic. If the '-release' switch
> removal idea gains traction, it will be a strong reason for me
> to quit. Performance parity with C++ without unreasonable extra
> efforts is very high on my priority list. If extra efforts are
> unavoidable and D loses its rapid development appeal, then
> there's always Rust as a more mainstream alternative.

I do agree that it should not be removed, but I'm for a change in
what this switch turns on and off (more safety even for system
code). It is quite nice switch for turning all  default
recommendations, without the need to scurry over all dmd options
to find which should be for release turned on. That's actually
what I really hated in c++ compilers as well as make files. So
many options, words, magic, even for simple projects, for newbies
that it just blows your mind, and just end up with a copy pasted
make file from somewhere, in order to start coding.