DMD 2.100, bring ont he attribute soup

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Thu May 26 23:52:32 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 26 May 2022 at 23:25:06 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/26/2022 3:54 PM, deadalnix wrote:
>> To begin with, I don't expect the same level of analysis from
>> a static analyzer than from the compiler. I can ignore the
>> static analyzer if it is wrong, I cannot ignore the compiler,
>> after all, I need it to compile my code. False positive are
>> therefore much more acceptable from the tool than the compiler.
>
> The static analyzer should be built in to the language when
> looking for bugs, not stylistic issues.

No, no, no, no and no.

You are just breaking my code when you do this. Leave my code
alone. Leave the libraries I rely upon alone. It's working fine,
great even.

This is purely destructive. Every time this is done, we lose a
chunk of the ecosystem.

If it can detect bugs => static analysis. Chip the analyzer with
the rest of the toolchain and be done with it.
If it allows for more expressiveness on another axis => ship it
with the language, and increase my powers.