Why is D unpopular, redux.

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri May 27 09:00:08 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 25 May 2022 at 12:23:21 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> While I wouldn't go as far to say that it's everything we have
> to know, it's still real research.

Most research is not useful in isolation. Scientific research
aims at pointing to causal factors, not correlation or averaging
self selected self evaluation.   Correlation can be highly
misleading, sadly.

It is useful to think of growth models like the ones you find in
biology and other fields. So, if we think of D programmers as
species and then think about population densities then we have
something that can help.

D may have had enough game programmers over time, but not in
sufficient density. Dplug is doing the clever thing, trying to
create immigration to the D island from the mainland where food
is scarce. But those birds need help crossing the ocean so it
isn’t cheap... you need enough birds to weather a storm, so you
cannot stop helping prematurely... so you are bound to a long
term investment.

Doing the same for gaming is perhaps even more difficult, there
is plenty on the mainland so why would the birds cross the ocean?
We need something others don’t have that is very tasty... what
exactly would that be?

D has attracted many species, but low concentrations of each. If
you are below a threshold you will not produce. If you seed with
random species maybe some will take hold given enough time, if
the environment is stable, if it isnt you typically will get a
rotation, but no big concencentration...

There is a reason why the D standard lib is the most successful
collaboration.