DMD 2.100, bring ont he attribute soup

max haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Fri May 27 13:06:46 UTC 2022

On Friday, 27 May 2022 at 12:27:00 UTC, forkit wrote:
> On Friday, 27 May 2022 at 05:06:54 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Rust is famous for forcing programmers to not just recode
>> their programs, but redesign them from the ground up. How they
>> managed to sell that is amazing.
>
> Rust is designed for performance and safety, and people have
> confidence that the language design and compiler, actually
> accomplishes this.
>
> You don't have to 'opt in'. Instead, you have to consciously
> opt out. This principle is really important for the future of
> programming lanaguages.
>
> So in that sense it's not at all surprising that people would
> want to recode for performance and safety.
>
> What is surprising, is that they're willing to do it in Rust
> (given it's syntax is so cognitively demanding).
>
> But that's what happens when academics get involved in language
> design ;-)
>
> Going from C, C++, C#, Java .. to D, is relatively painless.
>
> This simply cannot be said, when going to Rust.
>
> This is the lesson the designers of Rust should have taken from
> D.
>
> Imagine how popular Rust would be now, if they had done that.
>
> These forums would be pretty quiet indeed, if that had happened.

One thing people here seem to miss is that Rust isn't just a
memory safety thing anymore.

The memory safety is still a very big draw, yes obviously, but
the language as a whole has a lot of goodies that draw people to
it.

I know a handful of rust programmers, most of them don't really
care about the memory safety primarily but rather memory safety
*and* all the "functional" stuff it inherited from ML.

For example doing things like sum and product types as a library
whether it be C++ or D just looks incredibly tired and banal
compared to doing it properly and cohesively (pattern matching
for example) in the language. This can be rectified in D, we just
need to actually do it. Tuples have been on the cards for years.