Is std.process.browse a category mistake?

user1234 user1234 at 12.de
Sun May 29 00:29:25 UTC 2022

On Friday, 27 May 2022 at 18:46:36 UTC, kdevel wrote:
> https://dlang.org/phobos/std_process.html#browse
>
>    void browse(scope const(char)[] url);
>       Start up the browser and set it to viewing the page at
> url.
>
> It feels wrong that this function is in std.process.

This is a legacy function comming from the first the std.process
version. That function existed and was kept after the [redesign].
It's usefulness was a bit discussed [at that time]. Valid point
to my eyes is that it does not return a PID, you cant pipe it,
you can wait it.

[redesign]: https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/1151
[at that time]:
https://forum.dlang.org/search?q=browse&scope=threadmd5%3Af6005efc9c5f341f2fe880f9c7af8949