Why is D unpopular?

Alexandru Ermicioi alexandru.ermicioi at gmail.com
Sun May 29 07:24:21 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 26 May 2022 at 01:25:08 UTC, zjh wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 May 2022 at 18:29:02 UTC, Alexandru Ermicioi
> wrote:
>> complained at disabled bounds checking in release mode as well
>> as disabled contracts. So the opinion for release mode now
>> leans towards more safety even for system code.
>

> Maybe there should be a `fine switch` to meet the needs of
> different people .
> For example,Like `VIM` which has many `switches`.

There are already lots of 'fine' switches. The thing with release
is that it should enable/configure switches in dmd to produce a
release binary for user use. I'm disappointed that it only
disables bounds checking. It should also enable all reasonable
optimizations to make release binary fast and optimized in size
(lto perhaps?)

Basically if you don't want to fiddle with all micro optimization
flags, you should be able to use some default profile for
release, which is denoted by release switch.

Best regards,
Alexandru.