Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon May 30 17:04:59 UTC 2022

On Monday, 30 May 2022 at 15:55:05 UTC, Martin B wrote:
> On Monday, 30 May 2022 at 13:00:36 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>>[...]vision has to happen somewhere. Most likely in these
>>forums[...]
>
> I think this forums usability is too worse to be used in a
> productive manner

The learn forum is very productive as far as I can tell, and I
think this forum has been quite productive lately. I've learned
that Feeble would chime in if someone started on something that
could be come D3. That is valuable to know. I see that people
have wanted to take a look at the SDC github repo, so there is
some more interest. I've seen that deadalnix has the same basic
foundation for a vision that I believe many with an interest in
compilers could follow. If we get 5-10 people with enough
interest in CS-theory (not necessarily formal, but enough to pick
up a book or two) then we are in a good spot and things could
follow a growth pattern that is better than linear. It is also
quite clear that it isn't possible to bring everyone single
person in the forums on to the same page so what deadalnix says
and how an emerging vision for SDC is framed in the context of
the last 10 years of DMD evoltionary history, including current
trends, is quite important when building a SDC team.

If everyone are on the same page then movement becomes so much
easier… So clustering people with the same viewpoints and channel
them to SDC is a make or break situation IMO.

Everyone has the right to disagree with this viewpoint, of
course, we'll see…