Why is D unpopular?

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Tue May 31 02:07:53 UTC 2022

On Monday, 30 May 2022 at 18:58:38 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> And D is the only language where having multiple compilers is
> said to be a bad thing.  C, for example, probably has hundreds
> of different compilers, yet we never hear anyone complain about
> why C is bad because it has so many compilers.  Or C++, for
> that matter.  Yet for D this is somehow one of the biggest
> nails in its supposed coffin.  Tellingly enough, back in the
> days when dmd was the only compiler, people were singing
> lamentations on why having only one compiler was bad.  And now
> this.  Let the reader draw his own conclusions. ;-)

The problem with 'multiple compilers' is the concept of
'implementation defined' behaviours.

With a single compiler, implementation defined behaviours, which
would of course exist, are contained to the 'one' compiler, which
has obvious benefits for developers, and their customers (and C#
is a prime example), as well as the compiler developers and the
language designers.

Of course people like Stroustrup strongly support and argue for
the idea of multiple compilers, but his views/arguments really
reflect the legacy of C and C++. I don't know that they are
relevant to the future ;-)

I don't argue against multiple compilers per se. I argue against
compilers having 'different' definitions of behaviours of the
same language.

I would like to understand whether this is also a problem with
the D programming language (I don't know that it is, but I'd like
to know). If it is a problem, then (to keep in context with the
subject of this thread), perhaps it is a reason why D is
unpopular, given the problems it has created in the C/C++ world
of programming.