Why is D unpopular?

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Tue May 31 11:27:44 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 31 May 2022 at 10:47:13 UTC, bauss wrote:

> That's just ignorance at play.

Well you're sure being picky in what you respond to.

But on *my* computer, I have only one compiler for C#. That's not
ignorance, that's fact!

Of course, I (still) program against .NET Framework, not .NET
Core.

I use VS if I need a gui in my app, but for console programs, I
program in my own IDE which i developed myself (in C#!).

But even if I programmed against .NET Core, instead of .NET
Framework, I'd still only have one C# compiler on my computer
(regardless of the platform i'm using).

I'm not even aware of another compiler available to me, or why
I'd even consider it.

Now if I install .NET Core on my computer, then sure, I'd have 2
compilers for C# - but each targeting their own framework.

But in my world, as it is, there is only one C# compiler I ever
use.

On the otherhand, even on the same platform (whether it's Windows
or Linux - both of which i use extensively), I constantly switch
between dmd and ldc, to help verify the behaviour of my program
(cause I don't fully trust either compiler to do what it says its
going to do). I also do it because I do not know enough about the
possible 'implementation defined' behaviours in the D programming
language.