Puzzled by this behavior

Adam D Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue May 31 17:52:35 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 31 May 2022 at 17:41:18 UTC, Don Allen wrote:
> This strikes me as pretty inconsistent behavior

Code in functions is actually executed in sequence. Nested
functions aren't exactly code, but the same rule applies to them.
Consider:

int a = 5;
a = 6;
int b = a;

What is b? Of course we know since it happens in sequence. Same
rule applies with nested functions.

> I've also not found it documented, though I could have missed
> it (if someone could point me to where this is discussed, I'd

It has its own section on the function page:

https://dlang.org/spec/function.html#nested-declaration-order