Is D really that bad?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Nov 1 00:16:32 UTC 2022

On 10/31/2022 2:58 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> The value of such a list is that people who do want to work on one of the items
> on the list anyway receive some assurance that what they want to work on aligns
> with the goals of the project and has a reasonable chance of being upstreamed.

All they have to do is ask the community by posting in the forum.

We've been known to incorporate projects people have done all on their own
initiative. I've been known to ask the creators of such projects to donate them
to D.

> This is important for people who have limited resources to spend on open source
> projects not immediately related to their day job. For example, your and
> Andrei's very clear, concise and consistent communication making clear that that
> `static foreach` is desirable but difficult to implement is exactly what
> prompted me to start working on the implementation.

Thank you for adding static foreach! Much appreciated. People with your level of
skill and knowledge of programming languages are rare, and it's highly likely
I'll want to incorporate anything you feel motivated to do.

> I think the foundation has generally been moving into this direction? (E.g.,
> vision statements.) Of course, keeping a detailed list up to date also causes
> some overhead, so it is a tradeoff.

If someone wants to pick up where the prototype concurrent GC was left, I'm all
for it. I suspect we all are for it.

For anyone who does this, it'll look very good on her/his resume! The payoff is
much more than just for D karma points.