Why is D's GC slower than GO's?

bachmeier no at spam.net
Tue Nov 1 16:52:34 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 29 October 2022 at 15:45:11 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Saturday, 29 October 2022 at 14:43:54 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> If you're changing the compiler to add a different GC
>> strategy, you can add managed pointers.
>
> I think you need more than this to do it well, in terms of
> system level programming.
>
> You need to minimize thread-to-thread interference. You need to
> strengthen the type system and make better use of `shared`.
> Turning D into a AoT Java/C# just begs the question "Why am I
> not using Java or C#?"

I was replying to someone claiming they couldn't write a new GC
because they need managed pointers. I'm not going to take a
position on whether that is sufficient, but if they have a fork,
they can add them to the language and show the benefits.