Why is D's GC slower than GO's?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 08:47:39 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 1 November 2022 at 22:43:57 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:

> Not everyone is in Walter's position. I really don't understand
> why you are singling me out here and being disrespectful
> towards me.

Heat in this forum generally comes from two kinds of people. The
first kind are those that are direct in their opinions, but work
with the language and direct their criticism at real pain points
and suggest, often even contribute, workable improvements. Those
people are not the problem and in my books you belong to that
first category. Manu Evans is another classic example of that
kind of person.

The another kind of people, that are the real problem, are those
who have an air of negativity about D and the language foundation
in general. They turn many threads into those battles where most
of us feel the need to defend D against overt criticism. Often -
not always, but often - they have no or next to no record of
contributing. I can't pinpoint exactly what the problem in their
behaviour is, but somehow they almost never manage to be
constructive. I can only suspect they have some subconscious
desire to prove others misguided and themselves above the mass,
or something like that.

> I hope you understand that nowadays there are many people in
> jobs where open source contributions are a no go by default,
> _even_ in their spare time.

<political rant> Forbidding that should be declared illegal in
every country. I can maybe understand if, say someone developing
car radio software, would be forbidden from contributing to
open-source radio software, but to software in general? That's
ridiculous!
</political rant>