Looking for a new maintainer for std.uni/std.regex

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Wed Nov 2 15:32:56 UTC 2022

On Thu, Nov 03, 2022 at 12:34:11AM +1300, rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 03/11/2022 12:20 AM, Hipreme wrote:
> > The greatest bug on std.regex is it being too slow to compile, do
> > you have any idea on what it could be right now? Are you looking for
> > fixes or an entire rework on it?
>
> A feature that is known to have been useless is ctRegex, that needs to
> be deprecated. Perhaps that'll help things once removed?

While ctRegex probably should be removed, I don't think that's the
problem.  Even when you don't use ctRegex, using regex() alone slows
down compile times by 2-3 seconds.  I think it may be the excessive use
of nested templates / CTFE deep inside std.regex's internal
implementation.  I'm not sure if this can be fixed without rewriting
from scratch (which we don't want to do -- that would be too big of an
effort), but perhaps some careful profiling of the compiler might help
pinpoint the most egregious parts of the code that could be improved.

Designer clothes: how to cover less by paying more.