Is D really that bad?

UmmReally UmmReally at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 05:57:57 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 3 November 2022 at 05:29:22 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 11/2/22 21:54, Max Samukha wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 2 November 2022 at 21:17:22 UTC, Ali Çehreli
> wrote:
> >
> >> Those 16+ million developers are not the designers of
> Javascript; they
> >> just use it. The reason Javascript has private-to-class is
> because
> >> other languages had that before Javascript was created in
> 1995.
> >>
> >> Ali
> >
> > The millions of lemmings might be right in this case. There
> seems to be
> > no good reason to think module-level is superior to
> class-level.
>
> Yes: Just like there is no reason class-level is superior to
> module-level. There are pros and cons to both. For example,
> module-level is better because it obviates the need for the
> 'friend' keyword.

Well, my version of D has private to the class. I do not use
friends.

So you argument is wrong.

What you (always) do, is make it out to be one or the other.

I have both private to the class, and private to the module, in
my version of D.

Please STOP making it an argument for one or the other.

How about D letting the programmer make the choice.

> > It is
> > definitely surprising
>
> Yes, a new language can be surprising in many ways.

Especially when such an important type as the 'class' has no
concept of privacy within a module (not even an option). No
wonder people as suprised. You expect them not to be??

> That's harsh and subjective... That can't be a reason to
> complicate the language. In my case, I fully embraced
> module-level private as a net win. If I am not alone, it is
> proof there are also programmers that think otherwise.
>
> > to a lot of programmers coming from
> > class-based OOP languages.
>
> I welcome all of them and invite them to realize that they want
> (not "need") class-level private just because they are used to
> it.
>
> Ali

Again, my version (fork) of D allows me to use BOTH. Offical D
does not.

Why you so against people having a choice to do in D, what they
can do in any other major programming language? I don't get it.
Maybe it's you trolling us?