Jane Street & OCaml

Sergey kornburn at yandex.ru
Tue Nov 8 19:31:25 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 8 November 2022 at 17:54:43 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> On Tuesday, 8 November 2022 at 17:45:40 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
>> Somewhat off-topic, but the following article might be
>> interesting for some of you. It gives an overview of high
>> frequency trading firm Jane Street, including the importance
>> of OCaml in its success.

Nice article. Thank you. Btw they have a great podcast
https://signalsandthreads.com/ - there are also many interesting
things from JS members.
Jane Street is well known trading firm. But I think we have here
chicken-egg problem) "importance of OCaml in its success".. or
their success is important for the OCaml ecosystem? :)
The idea about choosing such language is not new. Paul Graham
with his posts about Lisp even mentioned in the article. But
first of all there are should be people, who will be smarter than
others.

>> https://frontmonth.substack.com/p/jane-street-and-the-arbitrage-royal
>
> Imagine if they knew D ☀️

And now you found out what is Symmetry :) But I think D is not a
big deal in that specific case of Jane Street.. And probably
that's why Symmetry is making SIL. The idea of OCaml for Jane
Street is type system. D just doesn't have this "feature".