Does D have any political goals?

Nick Treleaven nick at geany.org
Wed Nov 9 14:50:08 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 9 November 2022 at 14:01:38 UTC, Quirin Schroll
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 8 November 2022 at 10:46:55 UTC, Quirin Schroll
> wrote:
>> [snip]
>
> I forgot that I’ve seen DIP drafts that used *her* pronouns to
> refer to an abstract programmer. I’d consider that overtly
> politically motivated. My personal taste is not even deciding
> between generic *he* and the recently emerging, yet disputed
> among linguists, “singular” *they* and just go with *they* and
> use the plural *programmers.*

He should not be considered generic in modern writing. Using he
or she is equally wrong if gender is not literally intended. Just
use something like 'the programmer' or 'the user'. The official D
website does not use he as far as I'm aware, at least not in the
spec.

This is not political, this is about being factually correct and
not anachronistic.