ImportC Rox

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 16:56:30 UTC 2022

On 11/9/22 07:00, Don Allen wrote:

 > This is the standard pre-ImportC approach. Messy and ugly, but it works.

Yes, there are issues with non-standard solutions: People have to repeat
each other, don't know about existing solutions, there is a different
kind of learning curve, etc.

For example, there is

   https://gtkd.org/

and I had watched Gerald Nunn's presentation:

   https://dconf.org/2017/talks/nunn.html

but I can't be sure without researching even whether gtkd is the same
thing that was covered in that presentation.

Then there are dpp, DStep, etc. (which I "remembered" their names only
by visiting the ImportC page).

It is similar with unit testing: I can't even remember what framework I
had settled on during my C++ days but I will never forget the keyword
'unittest'.

So, yes, I am convinced that a native solution enables so much for so
many people.

 > The documentation does not say that, unless I've missed
 > something.

Yes, other parts of the spec can be improved but the "spec" for this
young feature is here:

   https://dlang.org/spec/importc.html

 > This all took less than an hour. I've
 > done some cursory testing and it seems to work properly. I was quite
 > amazed at how easy this was.

Thank you for reporting your experince. I am guessing all this happened
after the DConf Online submission deadline so we will see you explain it
at the next in-person DConf. :)

Ali