[OT] Generating distribution of N dice rolls

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Fri Nov 11 13:27:45 UTC 2022

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 10:52:47AM +0000, Siarhei Siamashka via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 10 November 2022 at 23:15:24 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > Being able to compute a hundred million dice rolls in a split second
> > is already good enough for what I need. :-D
>
> How important for you is to actually have a statistically correct
> solution for this particular problem?
>
> If something is off, then this may be eventually discovered by
> somebody in the future. Here's one famous example:
> https://www.wondriumdaily.com/gregor-mendel-fake-data/

Relax, this isn't for generating fake data. :-D  It's for a simulation,
and actually my use case mainly involves small values of N. So
technically I don't need to optimize it to this extent; it's just a
nice-to-have and a fun exercise to make it resistant to performance
degradation by unusually large inputs.

Mediocrity has been pushed to extremes.