ImportC Rox

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Sat Nov 12 18:00:42 UTC 2022

On Monday, 7 November 2022 at 22:05:38 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

Back to the original article.

https://faultlore.com/blah/c-isnt-a-language/

The discussion is that C is the lingua franca when it comes FFI.
This is of course a very limited interface, non standard and full
of special cases.

Isn't there a room for a common FFI language. Similar to LLVM is
some kind intermediate language for code generation, why not an
intermediate language that describes interoperability?

In such language, the exact memory layout of types can be
described, the type of calling convention etc.. Instead of
supporting each language, the language could emit a common FFI
format instead so that other languages can import it.

I have personally never seen such attempt, but I really think
that could be an interesting project. Maybe you have seen any
previous attempt?