Does D have any political goals?

Luna cli-luna at protonmail.com
Wed Nov 16 16:37:47 UTC 2022

On Monday, 7 November 2022 at 05:30:20 UTC, thebluepandabear
wrote:
> (If this message is off-topic/disallowed I apologize dearly,
> and please feel free to remove this post if this is the case.)
>
> Hello guys,
>
> I have been programming for a couple of years in various
> different languages. A couple of weeks ago I decided that I
> would like to learn a new language, so I went ahead and began
> learning Rust.
>
> Immediately I realized how toxic, egostic, and rude the Rust
> community was, and this made me very uncomfortable as when I
> learn new languages I often love to be a part of the community
> and interact with fellow programmers.
>
> After that, I began to learn about all of the social
> justice/political statements that Rust was putting out over the
> last couple of years in regards to topics unrelated to
> programming, this made me feel very uncomfortable -- not
> necessarily because I disagreed with what they were saying (in
> fact I agreed with most statements), but mostly because I felt
> like  politics shouldn't be involved in a programming language.
>
> Eventually I gave up on Rust, I simply couldn't ignore these
> two issues that I had with the community and the core team.
> Rust had the right to make political statements, but I had the
> right not to use a language if that was the case.
>
> For the next couple of days I was trying very hard to find an
> apolitical language to learn instead of Rust, and I stumbled
> across D. D seemed like a good language to learn and I saw that
> the community was EXTREMELY nice, although I am not sure
> whether D is an apolitical language (or whether they have been
> involved politically).
>
> I am just here asking whether or not D will keep politics out
> of programming, et cetera, and look -- if D is political then I
> have absolutely no issue, in fact I respect this decision
> completely. It's just that when politics gets involved in
> programming it puts me off instantly, so that's why I asked.
>
> Answers would be appreciated :D
>
> Regards,
> thebluepandabear

Rust is "political" to keep it's community safe and welcoming.
There are transgender people (including me), people of color and
other minorities using DLang. Not to mention it's a bad look for
companies to be funding projects that end up becoming cesspits of
bigotry and sexism which I have experienced in other programming
communities and this one, in the past. So I do highly recommend
the wider D community to actually have a think about what kind of
community it wants to foster.

A non exhaustive list of what I've experienced in the D community
since I started using it in ~2016: unwelcome sexual advances,
multiple cases of sexism, transphobic remarks, homophobic remarks
and general bigotry.

DLang has a ways to go as evident by this thread, it's gotten
better since 2016, but the community still has a maturity
problem. And as said earlier, a lack of a real selling point
other than being everything including the kitchen sink (except
parts of it are half implemented and are just bit rotting while
Walter talks about deprecating actually useful features like
binary literals)

This community's insistence of being "apolitical" (which it
isn't) is making it very hard to get anyone to try D, most people
I've shown the language have been very much put off by the
lenient moderation going on in the community. I really hope this
community doesn't turn back in to a garbage sausage fest.

Deciding that you want to be "apolitical" and "only talk about
code", way more often than not means that you don't want
minorities and/or women around.

I don't use DLang because of its community and leadership, I use
DLang despite it.