Discussion Thread: DIP 1044--Enum Type Inference--Community Review Round 1

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 15:28:37 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 20 November 2022 at 09:39:11 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> It's not worth freezing the language over temporary tool
> breakage. Just don't update the compiler until the tools have
> caught up.

Here is where you are wrong: it's not temporary breakage, it's
permanent, but this whole circus happens every few of months.

We can argue all day long, but the proof is in the pudding: D
tooling is abysmal and kinda broken pretty much everywhere. It's
not hard to figure out why: people implement D support at some
point, and then changes accumulate and support kinda work, kinda
not.

> There has to be a better way.

There is. Bundle the breakage, and release them all at once every
couple of years. Every single language out there does that, there
is a reason for it.