Discussion Thread: DIP 1044--Enum Type Inference--Community Review Round 1

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Sun Nov 20 16:59:47 UTC 2022

On 20.11.22 16:28, deadalnix wrote:
> On Sunday, 20 November 2022 at 09:39:11 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
>> It's not worth freezing the language over temporary tool breakage.
>> Just don't update the compiler until the tools have caught up.
>>

> Here is where you are wrong: it's not temporary breakage, it's
> permanent,

I am pretty sure tools can be updated.

> but this whole circus happens every few of months.
>
> We can argue all day long,

I'd rather not, but I do think it's a bit weird that you are arguing
against new language features in general, in a DIP discussion thread
about one specific feature, on the grounds that you actually just
disagree with the release schedule.

> but the proof is in the pudding: D tooling is
> abysmal and kinda broken pretty much everywhere. It's not hard to figure
> out why:

Sure, the reason is lack of resources and the fact that tooling is not
viewed as a priority because it is not already a strength.

> people implement D support at some point, and then changes
> accumulate and support kinda work, kinda not.

There is no such thing as "D" support. Versioning exists.

>> There has to be a better way.
>
> There is. Bundle the breakage,

Which D is doing. Nobody is expected to build their programs off DMD master.

> and release them all at once every couple of years.

I.e., the difference is that they have LTS versions. The solution you
proposed (and I had an issue with) is to stop evolving the language.

> Every single language out there

That seems a little bit exaggerated.

> does that, there is a reason for it.

The reason is that they have more resources.