Feedback Thread: DIP 1044--Enum Type Inference--Community Review Round 1

Quirin Schroll qs.il.paperinik at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 10:18:21 UTC 2022

I know it sounds nitpicky, but I really dislike like acronym.
“ETI” is used (at least) in C++ for “explicit template
instantiation.” D has templates, so ETI can be a source for
confusion. The term has been [used in the
forum](https://forum.dlang.org/search?q=group%3AdigitalmarsD+%22explicit+template+instantiation%22) unrelated to C++.

I don’t care for the wording of the DIP, but for what people will
refer to it in the forum. If it makes it into the spec, it would
be great if you could find something else. E.g. “type-inferred
enums” (TIE) is not that different, IMO “type inferred enum
members” (TIEM) is even better. Another one would be “implicit
enum member” (IEM).