Update on the D-to-Jai guy: We have real problems with the language

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Sun Nov 27 10:40:47 UTC 2022

It is significantly worse than just a few missing tools.

The common solution in the native world to improve compilation time is
shared libraries.

Incremental compilation does help, but shared libraries is how you
isolate and hide away a ton of details regarding template instantiations
that don't need to be exposed.

Only.. we can't do shared libraries cleanly and where it is possible it
is pretty limiting (such as a specific compiler).

Yesterday I tried to get the .di generator to produce a .di file for a
project. It has somehow started to produce a ton of garbage at the
bottom of the file that certainly isn't valid D code. Even if that
wasn't there, how on earth is the compiler going to -I them when they
are not in directories? Yikes.

Needless to say, we have a ton of implementation details that are both
low hanging and high value which have no alternatives.