Update on the D-to-Jai guy: We have real problems with the language

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Mon Nov 28 17:08:04 UTC 2022

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 04:27:03AM +0000, Basile B. via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> For better compile times and with LDC people should also always use
> the undocumented option `--disable-verify` (for a DUB recipe this
> would go in the dlags-ldc2 array for example).
>
> By default ldc2 verifies the IR produced but that verification is
> mostly useful to detect bugs in the AST to IR translation, so unlikely
> to detected any problems for a project like LDC, that's well settled,
> and has the main drawback to be very slow, especially with functions
> with bad a cyclomatic complexity. For example for my old iz library,
> 12KSLOCs of D (per D-Scanner critetions), the gain measured with
> `--disable-verify` goes from 150 to 300ms, depending on the run.

Hmm.  I just tested `--disable-verify` on one of my medium-complexity
projects (just under 40 .d files, compiled in a single command); didn't
measure any significant speed difference.  Both with and without
`--disable-verify` it took about 20 seconds for a full build (generate
Linux & Windows executables + run unittests).

Javascript is what you use to allow third party programs you don't know anything about and doing you know not what to run on your computer. -- Charles Hixson