Update on the D-to-Jai guy: We have real problems with the language

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Mon Nov 28 22:21:01 UTC 2022

On 29/11/2022 9:12 AM, rikki cattermole wrote:
> On 28/11/2022 5:38 AM, rikki cattermole wrote:
>> So what is interesting about this is MSVC link is taking about ~15s by
>> itself, LLVM is 15s which means that the frontend is actually taking
>> only like 1s at most.
>
> Very interestingly it is indeed not 15s at all, but ~4s.
>
> Thanks to the nifty /TIME switch on MSVC link! Welp, guess something
> else is doing it.

LDC is doing a full link each time, while with incremental linking you
can get this far lower (like dmd is doing), which is not accurate
unfortunately. If you did use incremental linking you unfortunately must
remove the extra unused import libraries that LDC is adding (which don't
make enough of a difference to matter with a full link.

TLDR: LDC is correct, DMD is giving not entirely correct results. But
there should be some wins here if different choices were made.