sumtypes for D

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 00:02:45 UTC 2022

On Monday, 28 November 2022 at 09:27:11 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> I've written most of a DIP for one. Should I:

I'd like to point out that we still don't have a reasonable
collection library because it is not possible to have a user type
that has properties similar to a slice (as in T[]).

Solving this would also ensure ensure that we can have sumtype as
a library that are just as good as the builtin ones. The reason
we cannot now is because we cannot build library types that mimic
the builtin ones.

I would have liked you as a leader here to get people to focus
here instead of adding to the pile of complexity.

There is a runaway pattern in this community to chase the next
great thing, not because it is is bringing that much value, but
because that's a good distraction from the fundamentals problems
that exists.