draft proposal for Sum Types for D

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Wed Nov 30 20:54:26 UTC 2022

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 08:32:26PM +0000, Hipreme via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 November 2022 at 20:01:47 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 29 November 2022 at 06:26:20 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> > > Go ahead, Make My Day! Destroy!
> > >
> > > https://github.com/WalterBright/DIPs/blob/sumtypes/DIPs/1NNN-(wgb).md
> >
> > Would prefer WASM and named arguments to sum types.
>
> Would love to implement Web support for my engine too :D

I haven't had time to look at the two existing wasm projects yet (one by
Adam, and the other I forgot by who); have you tried either of them out
yet?  How complete/incomplete are they?  How much can you do in them?
How close/far are they to a comprehensive WASM support package for D?

I think we should evaluate what we currently have, and lay out a rough
plan for how to move forward.

My ideal dream is a WASM support package (build system, helper scripts,
HTML/JS generators, etc) that lets me take an existing D program,
complete with GC and main(), and compile it into a web app (WASM modules
+ HTML + JS glue, the latter preferably completely auto-generated, that
can be copied into my Apache web directory and it would Just Work(tm)),
with minimal / no changes to the code itself.  Fiddly details like
passing strings to/from JS, interfacing with web APIs or WASI or
whatever, should just be completely automated away by scripts or build
system or whatever.

Of course, I think we still have a way to go before we get to this
point.  But it would be good to evaluate just where exactly we are right
now wrt this ideal dream, so that we can make meaningful steps forward.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? -- Michael Beibl