OT: system languages

bauss jacobbauss at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 07:08:32 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 11 October 2022 at 14:44:35 UTC, a11e99z wrote:
> One dude says: "*The PM comes up to me and says: "Here's metal
> for you on RS-485. Make a utility for its configuration and
> settings in 3 days.*". Well, I chose a Rust... And after 2
> months they fire me. Then they take a guy who got everything on
> Delphi in 4 hours. Everyone is happy. Well, except for me."
>
> This *unknown* task takes for me (or I will ask for it
> probably):
> Qt, Delphi - same 4 hours
> C#+WindowsForms(that is dead already) - 1day
> Dlang+ncurses(?) - 2-3 days
> Rust+ncurses(?) - 2-5 days
> Go+... - probably not.
> Nim,Zig.. - need to learn. not this time.
>
> And you sit and reflectioning about system languages, your
> place in the world etc ...

When you have a deadline for something, then you probably
shouldn't pick something you have never done something similar in.

In this case picking Rust was a bad choice, since it seems like
you've never done GUI in Rust before.

I would say it is the same for C# and D, as the timing for those
shouldn't be that high just for a program that modifies settings
somewhere, whether it's a file, api etc. there shouldn't be that
much difference between Qt/Delphi and using C#/D for the task, IF
you're familiar with it.