DConf '22 Talk: Structured Concurrency

Sebastiaan Koppe mail at skoppe.eu
Thu Oct 13 08:04:46 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 12 October 2022 at 09:28:07 UTC, Markk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> having watched the [Structured Concurrency
> talk](https://youtu.be/hJhNhIeq29U), and very likely missing
> something, I wondered if **@Sebastiaan Koppe**, or anybody
> else, has ever compared this to
> [OpenMP](https://www.openmp.org/).

Thanks for watching!

I haven't looked into OpenMP at all, beyond the short example
from one of your links, so take everything I say with a grain of
salt. Or two...

Personally I don't find the `#pragma` approach that elegant to be
honest. It also seems to be limited to just one machine.

The sender/receiver model is literally just the abstraction of an
asynchronous computation. This allows you to use it as a building
block to manage work across multiple compute resources.