Am I evil for this?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Sat Oct 15 00:58:00 UTC 2022

On Sat, Oct 15, 2022 at 12:26:17AM +0000, Paul Backus via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 14 October 2022 at 22:48:51 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> > On 10/14/2022 2:07 PM, Max H wrote:
> > > D not using + for strings was something that helped sell me on it
> > > early on.
> >
> > When I was working on that, I could not believe that other languages
> > persisted in conflating add with concatenate, which continues to
> > cause confusion.
>
> Perhaps ironically, one of the languages that got this right was Perl:
> it used + for numeric addition and . (period) for string
> concatenation.

In spite of all the hate (and actual flaws), I actually quite like many
aspects of Perl.

Built-in AA's is one, which is also a draw for me in D, in spite of the
flaws in the current implementation in D.  As is built-in regexes. D has
std.regex, but not having direct language support does increase the
friction a little. And the current implementation is a bit over-heavy on
templates and so slows down compilation significantly for shell-script
replacements, which detracts from an otherwise perfect niche for D.

Sigils is another feature that most people love to hate, but it's
actually very useful: the variable namespace will never collide with
keywords, and when glancing at code you can immediately tell which
identifiers are variables are even if you don't know the definitions of
the identifiers. Having said that, though, the quirky use of $ with
arrays/hashes when referring to individual elements does detract from
Perl's implementation of sigils.

The trouble with TCP jokes is that it's like hearing the same joke over and over.