Am I evil for this?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Sun Oct 16 00:56:33 UTC 2022

On Sat, Oct 15, 2022 at 12:01:54AM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 10/14/2022 5:58 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > Built-in AA's is one, which is also a draw for me in D, in spite of the
> > flaws in the current implementation in D.  As is built-in regexes. D has
> > std.regex, but not having direct language support does increase the
> > friction a little. And the current implementation is a bit over-heavy on
> > templates and so slows down compilation significantly for shell-script
> > replacements, which detracts from an otherwise perfect niche for D.
>
> You can always use the D1 regexes, which are still around in the unDead
> library. They don't use templates.

But why aren't we improving Phobos regexes then?

> > Sigils is another feature that most people love to hate, but it's
> > actually very useful: the variable namespace will never collide with
> > keywords, and when glancing at code you can immediately tell which
> > identifiers are variables are even if you don't know the definitions
> > of the identifiers. Having said that, though, the quirky use of $
> > with arrays/hashes when referring to individual elements does
> > detract from Perl's implementation of sigils.
>
> Syntax highlighting works delightfully in distinguishing keywords from
> identifiers.

I find syntax highlighting more distracting than helpful.  Especially
when they make unfounded assumptions about the background color of my
terminal, such that some items end up being unreadable or barely
readable. (I know, it's configurable, etc., etc., but then I'm spending
time struggling with a problem that didn't need to be there in the first
place, rather than focusing on my programming problem.)

Life is unfair. Ask too much from it, and it may decide you don't deserve what you have now either.