it would be helpful if packages being moved in phobos had a transition period

singingbush singingbush at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 16 14:47:47 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 16 October 2022 at 14:08:55 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> On Sunday, 16 October 2022 at 12:04:11 UTC, singingbush wrote:
>> It would be really helpful if, when moving things out from
>> `std.experimental`, that both the new and old import paths
>> would work for some time as an overlap. Ideally with the older
>> import path generating a deprecation warning during compile.
>> It's frequent breaking changes like this that have always
>> hindered me from using D in the workplace.
>
> If you had actually tested this before complaining, you would
> have discovered that it behaves *exactly* the way you propose.
> As of Phobos 2.100.2, `import std.experimental.checkedint;`
> still works, but prints a deprecation warning during
> compilation.

to be fair I didn't check it in D code as I was focusing on
getting a new release of the Intellij plugin pushed to resolve
the problem.

The 1.28.3 release will be fix the issue and be available shortly.

The way the plugin currently works it expected
`/usr/include/dmd/phobos/std/experimental/checkedint.d` to exist
on my system. It's not an ideal situation and certainly needs
reworking but that's the way it is for now.

It's good that dmd can still compile if `import
std.experimental.checkedint;` is used.