Memory safe and coroutines are the focus of D.

Per Nordlöw per.nordlow at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 22:07:59 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 16 October 2022 at 20:22:47 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> Not going to happen because Walter do not want to have managed
> pointers in the language. So we just have raw pointers in D
> just like we have now. How do we add arbitrary managed memory
> (ARC or whatever you want) with only raw pointers? I don't know
> and I don't say it's impossible but that could be a fun D
> conference talk.

Can you give elaborate or give references on the topic of using
managed pointers that do ARC? Are some bits of the address used
to store the reference count. What about other languages like
Java and C#? Do they also pack flags into the adresses?

I find lots of articles on managed pointers in Swift like
https://www.vadimbulavin.com/swift-pointers-overview-unsafe-buffer-raw-and-managed-pointers/ but no information on how they are actually encoded on the bit-level.