A D vs. Rust example

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 21:28:19 UTC 2022

On 10/20/22 4:33 PM, Don Allen wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 October 2022 at 19:51:41 UTC, surlymoor wrote:
>> On Thursday, 20 October 2022 at 13:37:07 UTC, Don Allen wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Thanks for the write-up.
>> I'm not endorsing this point of view, but I think the argument made by
>> Rust proponents (fanatics?) would be that your code is unidiomatic,
>> and your point is thereby moot.
>
> Kool-aid does strange things to the human mind :-)

I would caution against judgment of Rust based on a newcomer's
perspective, though I think it's probably a fair assessment of the *ease
of learning* of Rust.

I will note that you are not using closures in your D code, but nested
functions. Is there not a way to do that in Rust?

Many people discount D because their attempts to make it do the things
in the way they are used to result in horrible performance, or weird
problems.

-Steve