A D vs. Rust example

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Oct 21 13:06:13 UTC 2022

On Friday, 21 October 2022 at 12:50:27 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 21 October 2022 at 12:41:07 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> None of them have the industry backing at the same scale.
>
> There are two key use situations that Carbon is meant to
> address, according to the authors:
>
> 1. C++ interop
> 2. when Rust doesn't perform as well as you like
>
> I don't think Rust will take over low level programming. Rust
> is more of a high level language with some lower level
> capabilities. That is sufficient for many applications, of
> course, but it does not have the key characteristics that
> allows you to maximize the utilization of hardware.

If you bothered to follow the links I posted above, you will see
how the likes of ARM,Google Expressif, and Microsoft are of a
different opinion, even though they seat at ISO C++.

And the car industry standard for high integrity systems is now
certifying Rust for the same purpose alongside C++17.

But what do they know.