A D vs. Rust example

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 15:47:30 UTC 2022

On Friday, 21 October 2022 at 14:46:16 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> Swift added reference counting as GC (much because of
> objective-C) and the result is that the language is quite
> usable, much more easy to use than Rust. You will not end up
> with senseless life time compiler error as in Rust.

Swift is probably the best option for writing applications for
Apple products, but I don't feel that it will be accepted for
portable system level programming, no matter how it changes in
the future.

Even if it became a Rust/C++ replica it would still be perceived
as being beholden to a singular entity. I can see why the Carbon
docs put so much emphasis on no entity having more than 50%
influence. "Backed by Google" is a selling point, but "Owned by
Google" is a liability.

As more languages appear I think having a more cooperative
collaborative approach to design will be something people look
for.

Selecting a specific language is a big investment as languages
get more complex (even TypeScript has grown to become rather
complex). Developers don't want a single "political group" to
block a design extension that matters to 20% of the users.

Since languages copy features from each other they are sometimes
not all that different in ordinary programming, but cultures can
be very different still. So that dimension will perhaps be more
and more important in the next few decades.