A D vs. Rust example

Imperatorn johan_forsberg_86 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 23 14:55:56 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 23 October 2022 at 13:38:03 UTC, matheus wrote:
> On Sunday, 23 October 2022 at 12:44:15 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
>> Yup, I'm trying to convince the rest of the team we should go
>> with betterC. But it's hard to get ppl to try new things
>> (except Rust for some reason)
>
> Maybe I'm comparing very different things, but for me this Rust
> trend reminds me something similar to Ruby On Rails.
>
> Some years ago most companies where I live were hiring mostly
> RoR developers, even the company that I work for, but now at
> least where I live it's very hard to find a position for RoR,
> in fact most companies around here are hiring (Mostly) C#
> developers now.
>
> Matheus.

Yeah, that's why I don't like "hyped" languages.

We use C# at work too, mainly because it's a well designed
language (quite easy to learn), has good support (ecosystem) and
IDEs. Sure it's a bit verbose, but the upsides make it worth it.

D has so much potential to be a replacement for many other
languages.

It could replace Python, C# in some cases, C++ for sure, C with
betterC, maybe even R or Julia.

What is needs though is to be stable and have an LTS branch.

Companies don't really care at all what language you use, they
care about economics and risk mitigation.

If I say to my team "let's write the next thing in D", the first
question will be about ecosystem, IDEs and other things
**surrounding** the language, not the language itself, no matter
how good it is, unfortunately.

I really hope that one day we will have a bigger following (which
will enable us to make better tools), because there are so many
things D is better at than many other languages.