A D vs. Rust example

ryuukk_ ryuukk.dev at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 19:29:15 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 27 October 2022 at 17:37:59 UTC, Quirin Schroll
wrote:
> Imagine how much more attractive D would be to OO crowd if it
> had first-class value type boxing, generics with variance and
> wildcards, and all the other OO stuff modern OO-fist languages
> offer. Using Java and C#, it feels like D only has the bare
> minimum to call itself object-oriented. There was some talk (by
> Átila, IIRC) that having first-class classes and OO in D was a
> design error. I have no idea whether there is actually a plan
> to fade those out improve them to be competitive on that front.

Go annihilated both Java/C# and became the cloud native language
without the OOP features

Rust is becoming the system language of choice without the OOP
features

Zig is making a dent without the OOP features

The more OOP you put in a language, the worst it becomes

C# is adding more functional and low features because OOP
features doesn't cut it

OOP is nice only when kept very simple and minimal