Is D really that bad?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Fri Oct 28 17:36:48 UTC 2022

On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 09:51:04AM +0000, Imperatorn via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Just wanted to remind you that, D maybe isn't that bad.
[...]
> Yes, D has it's flaws, true. But it's far from unfixable? Or is that
> what people believe?
[...]
> Is D really that bad?

Nope.

D is my favorite language. Wouldn't settle for anything else.  Yeah, D
has its ugly dark corners and pet peeves that make me cringe... but then
again, every language has those, it's just a matter of whether the
benefits outweigh the annoyances.  IMO, D's advantages FAR outweigh the
dark corners.  I have decades of experience in C and C++, a smattering
of Java and other languages, and I can say none of them even holds a
candle to D.

(Although D has spoiled me so much I haven't actually bothered using C++
or Java for years now, maybe even decades, so this is probably outdated
information. :-D  Well I did write some minimal Java in my Android
project, but I wouldn't call that *using* Java, it's more like just lip
service to ease some of the pains of working with Android NDK. Even that
little made me wanna puke -- just WAY too much boilerplate, it's nigh
unusable unless you use a high-powered, resource-hogging IDE (or a auto
codegen utility, written in D :-P). I do actively use C for my day job,
but the PTB are a conservative bunch and we haven't really moved beyond
the 90's in terms of C standards, so that part is probably outdated
too. Whatever.)

Don't listen to the naysayers, D is awesome.  If it wasn't, I wouldn't
be here in the first place. *We* wouldn't be here.  Many of us came here
because we're sick and tired of other languages' bogonities. D must have
done *something* right that we're still here today.  Every language has
flaws, and D is no exception.  But that doesn't make it any less
awesome.  It still r0x my world, I don't care what other people say or
think.

Famous last words: I *think* this will work...