Why is D's GC slower than GO's?

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Sat Oct 29 10:04:01 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 29 October 2022 at 09:42:32 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> It's literally impossible for me to stop anyone who wants to
> improve the GC. It's all open source, and Boost licensed. It's
> even designed to be pluggable.

No they can't because D doesn't have a built in managed pointer
type and they are limited to a subset of GC algorithms (even
limited among the tracing GC ones).

It is possible to use a library custom GC type but then
runtime/phobos don't use these so replacing the GC in the entire
program isn't possible.

Many have tried to explain this numerous times but you just
ignore this obvious fact.