Why is D's GC slower than GO's?

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Sat Oct 29 11:39:14 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 29 October 2022 at 10:35:21 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> I didn't ignore it.
>
> I've pointed out the problems with two hierarchies of pointers
> many times. I lived with it for years in the DOS world. It's a
> mess, and was only used on DOS out of desperation.
>
> I know about C++/CLI. No thanks.

Your analogy with bizarre addressing modes and HW limitation of
early x86 processors doesn't make any sense. Also, the design
with far/near pointers in those compilers is questionable and
further fuels the point that pointers need to be opaque and the
compiler should deal with such mess.

None the less the argument with far/near to totally irrelevant
today has nothing to do with the managed/raw pointer separation.
You fail to understand that this limits the usage of the D
language and thusly fails to become a general purpose system
language that can suit different needs. This is one of the
problems with the D project that you limit further evolution of
the language using obvious flawed arguments. The results of that
is clear, that D doesn't in increase in popularity.