Why is D's GC slower than GO's?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 00:36:23 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 29 October 2022 at 11:22:20 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> You would go ASICs.
> But it's impractical so you could go FPGA.
> But it's impractical so you could go GPGPU.
> But it's impractical so you decide to go native.

I think this pattern is close the culture of C/C++, in the sense
that many like to get a clear view of how their code is related
to machine code instructions and memory layout. C/C++ is as close
they feel they can get to machine code without taking the costs
of dropping down to that level.

Rust and D have some of these, but also a large segment of users
that are attracted to primarily high level programming. To a
large extent I think this is a result of how these languages
present them to newbies. If you present a high level layer to
newbies you will grow a different user-base profile/culture. I am
not sure if this is a good move as it is difficult to collect
feedback that gives a clear focus on where to improve if the
interests are diverse.

Maybe Zig is doing better than some competitors because it does
not try to provide a high level experience (or do they?). Anyway,
from a distance it looks like Zig is attracting a more more
cohesive group of programmers with more overlapping expectations.