Why is D's GC slower than GO's?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Oct 30 06:41:52 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 30 October 2022 at 05:55:44 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 10/29/2022 7:14 PM, 12345swordy wrote:
>> C++/CLI is used manually to create a gateway to the .net
>> framework from c++ and back. That and the fact the
>> implementation is windows only so that greatly hinders the
>> adoption of the language.
>
> I do understand that. But if it was a winner, why have none of
> the other C++ compilers adopted it? Why isn't in the C++
> Standard? Why isn't it in the C Standard?

It is a standard,

https://www.ecma-international.org/publications-and-standards/standards/ecma-372/

As for why it isn't in ISO C++, for the same reason most GCC and
clang extensions aren't in ISO.

No one has bothered to endure the work and the voting process to
make it part of ISO, including Microsoft that published it via
ECMA.

As for why no other has adopted it, it really only makes sense
for bytecode based stacks, and there is no competition to CLR for
low-level languages.

WebAssembly is the one that came closest, and they still don't
have a GC story to talk about.