Why is D's GC slower than GO's?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 12:04:38 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 30 October 2022 at 11:04:42 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> With multithreaded system services, Swift seems to be a very
> good alternative. Atomic reference counting is here very
> suitable. Also lately there have been a lot of work on the
> concurrent model for Swift and it supports async/await,
> concurrent actors.
>
> For the most low level programming Swift isn't an alternative
> but for system services inside an existing OS there should
> Swift do fine. Also, Swift seems to be a good fit for game
> programming as well.

Right, Apple is putting a lot of effort into creating an
environment that makes it attractive to make iOS-only apps (or
iOS-first-apps). Making more iOS/macOS software use only Swift is
obviously something that fits their strategies and we can expect
more of that. They also have an obvious long term interest in
growing the pool of loyal Swift-only programmers. (Just like
Microsoft has an interest in making sure that there is a large
pool of C#-only programmers.)

There has been talks by the original author about making Swift a
proper system level language (that could compete with C) some
years ago, but not sure if that is still a goal. I don't expect
it anytime soon, though.