Is D really that bad?

Bioinfornatics bioinfornatics at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 31 10:09:13 UTC 2022

On Friday, 28 October 2022 at 09:51:04 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Just wanted to remind you that, D maybe isn't that bad.
>
> We're very good at bashing our own language, but we should also
> remember sometimes what it has given us.
>
> I have spent the last months going through other languages, and
> I can say, the grass is always not so much greener on the other
> side.
>
> Yes, there are more mature languages.
> Yes, there are languages with better ecosystems.
>
> But, just as an example - Zig - which is getting attention, is
> according to the community itself (including its creator) not
> in 1.0 until about 2025.
>
> And still people use it, and might even think it's better than
> D.
>
> Some information from their community (not my words)
> It does **not** have a standardized package manager and build
> system.
> It does **not** have an official registry of packages.
> It **is** unstable.
> It should **not** be used in production (actively advised
> against).
> It changes so often that you can not rely on code to work even
> in 1 month from now.
> etc
>
> And still, people still think Zig is better for some reason.
>
> Yes, D has it's flaws, true. But it's far from unfixable? Or is
> that what people believe?
>
> Forget about Jai, Odin, Beef and all those languages.
>
> Go - Welcome rheumatism 👴
> Rust - Welcome brain tumor from not even being able to
> prototype something in less than 2 years 😩
> C++ - Welcome to hell 🔥
>
> The only real language out there that is close to what D
> is/could be is Nim and I respect it.
> But, its syntax is not that kind to those who loved the curly
> braces.
>
> All I'm saying is - maybe it's best if we just fix D?
>
> There is some valid criticism, like the risk for attribute soup
> etc. But maybe it's fixable?
>
> Remember what D gives you in terms of UFCS, CTFE,
> metaprogramming, performance, package manager, prototyping,
> inline assembly, 3 compilers for different use cases etc.
>
> Is D really that bad?

The main probem of D is the miss of a killer library.

     + Java is still heavily used,
       Big data: hadoop, spark ...
       Next generation Database: neo4j, orie tDB, janusgraph...
        Search: elastic search...
     + C/rust: kernel usage
     + Python : Datascience, web (fastapi) a ease of developpement

     D community has started some interresting but never reach its
public
     Mir, D dataframe, full futured web framework...
     One of the problem of D it is some c++ user want user D as
c++ alternative... without GC

     While to me D is the mix of
       + Python ease of use, ability to script with rdmd
       + eiffel with contract programming
       + Java, garbage collector
      With some extras features
     In one language that do 90% the work of c++ without to be a
c++.

     So as long as the community continues
      this schizophrenia, there is no hope